19 Things To Do At Deep Creek Lake
Are you planning a Deep Creek Lake summer vacation? Our list of 19 Things to do at Deep Creek Lake with Kids includes destinations you don’t want to miss. So read through, consider this an outline, and know these activities are memorable for all ages. The Deep Creek Lake area is unique because more than 90,000 acres of public land comprise state forests and parks. That means there are virtually limitless options for keeping your crew entertained and making memories with your favorite people.
- Miniature golf is a classic family vacation activity that is fun for big and little kids. I suggest hitting up Deep Creek Fun Zone when ready to play.
- Ride a zipline with views of the lake at Monkey Business Adventure Park. They offer three levels of aerial challenges for ages five and up.
- Pedal and paddle along the Youghiogheny River. Wilderness Voyageurs will outfit you with everything you need to enjoy a bike ride along the Great Allegheny Passage (relatively easy/flat) that leads you to a relaxing float on the Middle Yough. Pack a lunch for this non-guided adventure, and plan to swim, relax, laugh and enjoy!
- Uncover treasures at the Marsh Mountain Mining Company for ages two and up. This is an excellent option for younger kids! Located in the Mountain Park at Wisp Resort, they supply a bag of gem mix to sift through in their sluice. There is also a playground that they can enjoy.
- Designed for ages four and up, Wisp offers kid-friendly aerial adventures on the Chipmunk Challenge course. They can navigate their way through swinging platforms and ziplines with the help of a guide.
- Create a handmade keepsake at Deep Creek Pottery. Reserve a spot and look forward to painting pottery or making a mosaic that you can take home as a memento of your time at the lake.
- Indulge in a few scoops at Lakeside Creamery. This local landmark features a vast ice cream menu, milkshakes, smoothies, and sundaes. They have picnic tables overlooking the lake, so you can enjoy the view while you eat or get a larger container to keep at your Deep Creek cabin.
- Discover Fun Unlimited’ s nearly endless arcade. Offering over 97 new and vintage games, this is a great option to keep all ages entertained, and you can also grab some pizza while you are there.
- Try the ATV tours at Western Trails. You can ride off-road trails through wooded and open terrain. A hand-led pony ride offers a tamer option if you have small children.
- Paddle-boarding at Deep Creek Lake State Park is a fun activity for everyone. You can rent a paddleboard for half an hour or an hour from Wisp’s Beach Hut. Pack a picnic lunch and spend the afternoon at the sandy beach and swimming area. Kayak and canoe rentals are available too.
- Check out area events that include kid-friendly activities. In June, you can experience the Garrett County Celtic Festival. July offers Independence Day fun like the Fire on the Mountain Fireworks Display or the old-fashioned parade in Accident, where there is a chance to catch some candy. Later in the month, Art in the Park will keep you entertained. Next is everyone’s favorite event – the Garrett County Agriculture Fair.
- Hiking to a waterfall (or 3!). At Swallow Falls State Park, you can hike trails leading to three different waterfalls. Make it a fun family adventure to see them all -Â Swallow Falls, Muddy Creek Falls, and Tolliver Falls. If there are smaller kids in your group or family members with limited mobility, a handicap-accessible ramp leads to a platform that offers beautiful views.
- Go Fishing. Fishing opportunities are around every corner. Get your Maryland fishing license, cast your line from the dock at your Deep Creek Lake vacation rental, or head to a state park: New Germany, Deep Creek Lake, and Herrington Manor.
- Take a scenic chairlift ride at Wisp Resort. Ride the chairlift to the top of the mountain at Wisp for beautiful lake views. When you get to the top, walk to the Adventure Sports Center International and watch whitewater rafters.
- Take a kayak tour and watch for bald eagles at Savage River Reservoir. All Earth Eco Tours will guide you on a kayak trip on this large winding lake surrounded by the area’s tallest mountains. No motorboat traffic means that there are more opportunities to spot wildlife.
- Visit the petting zoo at Schoolhouse Earth. Mom can shop at this eclectic store while the little ones check out the llamas, goats, and chickens at the petting zoo.
- Explore Deep Creek Lake by boat. The best way to enjoy the lake is without question by boat. Encompassing more than 3900 acres, there are many quiet coves and swimming holes to explore. Bring your own boat and keep it at your lakefront or lake access Deep Creek Lake cabin, or rent one for the afternoon from Deep Creek Marina. Make a pit stop for lunch at Brenda’s Pizzeria or Aces Run, where you can dock while you dine. Not sure about your boating skills? Let the folks at High Mountain Sports do the driving. Offering Deep Creek Lake Pontoon Boat Tours, their captain will share local history and knowledge as you enjoy an hour-long cruise. This is an economical way to experience boating at Deep Creek Lake.
- Listen to live music at free summer concerts. Wisp Resort hosts weekly free summer concerts. You can also enjoy tunes at Sipside Lounge and MoonShadow.
- Spend the afternoon at the Honi-Honi. A Deep Creek Lake tradition, sunny Saturday afternoons are best enjoyed on the lawn at Uno’s Chicago Grill and the Honi-Honi. Live music, cornhole, and cold beverages will keep mom and dad entertained while the kids climb the oversized whale and elephant or play in the wooden pirate ship.
This is just the tip of the iceberg regarding things to do at Deep Creek Lake with kids: mountain biking, rock climbing, and disc golf, to name a few more. Be sure to get out and explore when you’re here to discover the best of our area!